We’ve all heard the perils of black hat SEO methods, and unnatural links is one of the quickest ways to the Penguin penalty. In saying that, link building remains an effective, important SEO tactic. The trick to avoiding penalty and reaping the rewards from link building in this post-Penguin world is to generate legitimate incoming links.
Here are five ways to start generating the kind of white hat links that will see your unique hits soar…
1. Guest posting: Think about what sort of blogs your expertise could be useful to. Once you have a list of potential blogs, approach them with a personalised email. Avoid the cold-calling approach to requesting a guest post – you’ll only have your email sent to the trash can. Instead, approach potential blogs personally and propose a specific post that you think the blogger’s readers would really benefit from.
2. Create original images and infographics: Powerful infographics and original images get shared like crazy. And content sites worth their weight know to link out to your site if they’re using your infographic or image. Want a challenge? One-up the competitors with a video infographic. Search Engine Watch showed a great example of how the popular Zombie Apocalypse survival infographic was turned in to a video to coincide with the December 2012 apocalypse prediction.
3. Karmic linking: Do unto others what you would like done unto you! Be a good sport by linking out on your own site. Not only will it help validate what you’re saying, but people will be more inclined to link back to you. Don’t be afraid of people leaving your site – that’s what ‘open in new tab or window’ was made for!
4. Slow and steady: New to the game? Don’t go crazy with hundreds of links every month. The Search Engine People encourage geometric link building: where you acquire seven links in the first month, 14 in the next, 21 the third and so on.
5. Anchor text variety: Google says that 25 per cent of all searches are completely unique and have never been searched before. Rather than using the same anchor text over and over again, or even worse using ‘read more’ or ‘click here’ as anchor text, try to change things up when it comes to keywords and anchor text.
There are so many other white hat methods of building links and systems, like Outbrain, that will help you get your site noticed. Above all else, unique, quality content is what will ultimately get your site noticed and shared.[cf]tracking[/cf]